Al Aqsa Mosque Clashes: 6 Killed as Jerusalem Shrine Te…

Paul Goldman and Lawahez Jabari and Eoghan Macguire and Reuters and Associated Press

JERUSALEM — Three Palestinians died in clashes in Jerusalem and three Israelis were killed in a stabbing attack at a West Bank settlement as tensions gave way to violence over the Holy Land’s most contested shrine.

A Palestinian sneaked into a home in the Israeli settlement of Halamish in the West Bank after nightfall on Friday and stabbed-to-death three Israelis, the military said. The three Palestinians died earlier Friday during confrontations with Israeli security forces.

Authorities believe the attacker jumped over a fence and surprised the Israeli family as they ate the traditional Sabbath evening meal. The military said the Palestinian then killed a man and two of his children, while a woman was wounded and taken to a hospital. The man’s grandchildren were present but not harmed, it said.

The man was later identified as 70-year-old Yosef Solomon, according to local reports. His daughter, Haya Solomon, 46, and his son Elad Solomon, 36, were also killed.

“Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expresses his deep sorrow over the murder of three family members in Halamish last night,” the Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement Saturday. “It is an act of terror perpetrated by a human animal, infused with abhorrent hatred.The security forces are doing all they can to maintain security, and will take all necessary measures to do so.”

The army released footage showing a blood-covered kitchen floor. It said senior military officials were meeting overnight to discuss how to proceed.

The violence came after Israeli officials banned men under the age of 50 from entering Al Aqsa mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam. The military said it had imposed the ban for security reasons after Palestinians were angered by the introduction of metal detectors at the shrine, with some calling for a “day of rage.”

The devices were installed after two Israeli policemen were shot dead at the site, which is known to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as Temple Mount, last week.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday ordered the suspension of all official contact with Israel until it removed the new security measures.

“I declare the suspension of all contacts with the Israeli side on all levels until it cancels its measures at Al-Aqsa mosque,” Abbas said in a brief televised speech after meeting his aides.

Police reported disturbances in the Ras al-Amud, Saladin and A-Tur areas of the city. The Al Makassed hospital said a 22-year-old man named Mohamad Hasan Abu Ghanam had been killed during disturbances in A-Tur.

Image: Worshipers run from teargas fired by Israeli forces in Jerusalem

Worshipers run from teargas fired by Israeli forces in Jerusalem on Friday.