Charlie Gard Hospital Says Staff Have Received Death Th…

Phil Helsel and Catie Monteiro and Associated Press

LONDON — The British hospital treating terminally ill baby Charlie Gard said Saturday that its staff has been subjected to abuse and even death threats in the controversial case.

“We fully understand that there is intense public interest, and that emotions run high,” said Mary MacLeod, the chairman of Great Ormond Street Hospital.

“However, in recent weeks the GOSH community has been subjected to a shocking and disgraceful tide of hostility and disturbance. Staff have received abuse both in the street and online. Thousands of abusive messages have been sent to doctors and nurses whose life’s work is to care for sick children,” she said in a statement. “Many of these messages are menacing, including death threats.”

Doctors at the hospital had advised that life support efforts for the 11-month-old, who is unable to move his arms or legs or breathe unaided, should end and that further therapy would cause more suffering. The boy’s parents are fiercely opposed and want Charlie to get help in the U.S.

Around 20 protesters supporting Charlie’s parents held a prayer vigil and rally on Sunday afternoon to demand that the baby receive an experimental medical treatment, the Associated Press reported. The rally took place outside the London High Court, where legal proceedings on the case will resume on Monday.

Hospital officials said they had been in contact with London’s Metropolitan Police Service over the threats. In some cases, parents of other sick children have been harassed while trying to visit, they said.

Charlie’s parents said they do not condone the abuse, adding that they have also faced “nasty and hurtful remarks,” the BBC reported.

American pastor Patrick Mahoney, who has been campaigning for Charlie to be transferred to the U.S. for treatment, also condemned the threats of violence.

“To harass patients, to intimidate doctors, to make threatening phone calls is nothing that anyone in any effort stands for and we unequivocally condemn it, period,” he told reporters on Sunday.

Related: Lawmakers Float Idea of U.S. ‘Residency’ for Charlie Gard

The case has garnered international attention and even drawn comment from President Donald Trump and Pope Francis.

Trump tweeted his support for the baby earlier this month, writing: “If we can help little #CharlieGard as per our friends in the U.K. and the Pope, we would be delighted to do so.”

British and European courts have so far backed the doctors’ position, ruling that transferring Charlie to the U.S. would prolong suffering without a realistic prospect of success.




Image: Chris Gard (R) and Connie Yates

Chris Gard (R) and Connie Yates, the parents of terminally-ill 11-month-old Charlie Gard, arrive at the Royal COurts of Justice in central London on Friday.